Thursday, September 4, 2008

Time, oh how it flies!

How can it possibly be September already? One of my favorite quotes about the passage of time is by Micky Rooney. He says " Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." If this is true, then life must pass by a breakneck speed for my parents generation, cause my roll is spinning pretty quickly here! The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity.

My grandmother was here for two weeks and left Monday. In the past we have always spent lots of time sitting around talking, laughing, and just shooting the breeze. Of all my family, she's the one I'm most like in temperament and we have always been inseparable. This year, she had to stay at my mom's because our former guest room is now Zboy's and I don't think she'd do well on the top bunk.

Speaking of my mom, she had a big plumbing issues that necessitated getting all new floors through most of her apartment. This meant that we spent the first few days of grandma's visit moving all my mom's stuff out, shuffling mom and grandma between different households, and then moving all her stuff back it. All the work of moving with none of the rewards of a brand new space!

Then Zman and I got a wild hare and spent Labor Day weekend painting and rearranging the kids' bedrooms. It's taken me until now to be able to move my arm normally again! I'm sore in places I didn't know I had and why, why does my butt hurt? It's not like I was holding the paint brush...creativily! I have some kind of bad paint karma too, because no matter how much I love a color in the tiny little swatch in the paint store, as soon as it hits the wall, I HATE it! I picked out a lovely shade of steal blue for Zboy's room with one green ascent wall and now I have a room which can only be called purple. Bluish purple, sure, but still purple! I'm going to have to put away more money for future therapy sessions.

Of course Tuesday, was the momentous First Day of School. Thank Heavens! So we spent a lot of time obsessing about outfits and school supplies. This year Princess's teacher decided to do a little gift exchange so we also had to bring in a wrapped gift valued at $5 or less... what was she thinking!?! You try finding a cheap gift that would work for a boy or girl of 7 or 8 AND make sure that said gift is "cool" enough that your child isn't ostracized for life (or at least all of 3rd grade) for bringing a dorky gift. OH, THE DRAMA!

And last, but certainly not least, we celebrated our very first Family Day on Tuesday too. This is the day we've chosen to celebrate our adoption; all the gotcha day, adoption day, etc. aside we felt this was the best day for ALL of our family to celebrate. It's the day that we arrived home from Ethiopia and were all together as a family for the very first time. I love that it's an adoption celebration that incorporates the girls too and they really appreciated being essential parts of our special day.

It's hard to believe that we have been the proud parents of Zboy for a full year. Time flies but I wouldn't trade a minute of it for anything in the world!




0 comments: