Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Wow!


One year ago today we arrived in Africa and were whisked away to see our son for the very first time. To say we were unprepared for the tumultuous emotions of that day, that meeting, would be a huge understatement. And while it wasn't the roses and songbirds first meeting that some people have, it was a life changing, memorable day.

He was stuffed into a white fleece sweat shirt and way too small white overalls and on top of being completely freaked out by the strange white people, was very over-heated. He was wheezing badly and covered in scabies and though he was just a week shy of 7 months old, he couldn't even sit up unassisted and the back of his head was flat from laying in his crib so much. I was so happy to finally have him in my arms, something we had been working toward for years, and yet I was overwhelmed by the enormity of being this child's mother. He was sick, he was terrified, and he was a stranger, and I was definitely out of my depth as a parent.



Today I can look back on that time with nostalgia and happy tears. He is no longer sick, certainly not scared, and is totally, and in every way, my son. We began a journey that day that has been harder then I expected it to be, it has also been infinitely more rewarding then I could ever have imagined. As we continue on this journey together I look forward to learning even more about the wonderful person who is my son and also learning new things about myself as a mother and as a person.

I love you baby boy!




9 comments:

Maggie said...

It's been a full year already? Wow. He's changed so much in that time. Congratulations!!!

Elle said...

I can't believe it's been a year. Man how time flies. It's coming up on 2 years for us.

Michelle Smiles said...

Congrats on 1 year!

Tami said...

It's amazing how quickly that first year can go by! He's grown and changed so much. Congratulations!!!

Deb said...

Can't believe it's been a year. Your video made be cry.

scooping it up said...

I feel like I should introduce myself since I am a random stranger that occasionally reads your blog- it's only polite. My hubby and I have been doing soul searching about adoption for over a year now and are going to being the adoption process to Ethiopia in a couple months. I found your blog through some blog hopping about adoption and I honestly just started bawling when I saw that precious video. So, you don't know me, but you inspire me and we can't wait to have our own adoption story. Feel free to check out my blog, so maybe it won't be as weird when I look at yours. :)

Tony and Rett said...

I just stumbled upon your blog...what a beautiful son you have!

Congratulations on your year as a family! Our first family birthday is soon!

Ok, now I have to go read more of your blog! Thank you for sharing your journey!

Tony and Rett said...

Wait, I just read more...your whole family is beautiful!!!!

Congratulations!!!!

Deb said...

Carrie, I e-mailed you about the No Cry Sleep Solution. I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I haven't let her cry since the first night of trying that and really don't want to.

Thanks