Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Cookie-licious

While we were in Oregon I forced Zman we decided to get our first official family portraits done. It's hard to do them here in Our Town, Alaska because we have very few options and all of them require 2 arms and 3 legs in payment. Since Zman and I both like walking, we put off getting the pictures done until we either, found a pot of gold, or went on vacation. I wanted to try and find a photographer with the Celebrating Adoption program but the only one close to my in-laws' town was totally booked. She did have a referral for us though and I very happy with how it all turned out in the end.

Now, I'm not a formal dress in a studio kinda gal so we all headed down to the water front park and had a very informal, everyone in light and bright summer clothes, playing with bubbles kinda photo shoot. This week, the photographer finally posted our proofs on her website and can I just say, OMG! I want them ALL. OK, there are a few I could pass but only because they are almost exactly like another shot that I slightly prefer. I'm having a really hard time deciding which ones to order. I would ask for your wise advice dear internets, but the site has our last name listed, and I'm pretty sure our social security numbers are there somewhere, so for security reasons if I "know" you, email me at buildingafamily(at)yahoo(dot)com and I tell you how to see the pictures.

In looking at these pictures I realized something funny. We are NOT very photogenic people... except for my Cookie. The photographers seemed to realize this too because out of the 50 proofs we have to choose from, at least half of them feature Cookie either by herself, or in the foreground and all of the rest of us, slightly out of focus, somewhere behind her. It's true. It's very, very difficult to get a bad picture of the kid while getting a good picture of me is almost impossible. You don't have to take my word for it, here is a picture that I took of her about 1 hour after the photo shoot...


See! Bruised head and all, she's still delicious.




4 comments:

Maggie said...

I'm glad the pics turned out well. I'm with you about the studio setting -- I prefer more natural photos. I had a gift certificate to get Slugger's pictures taken last winter. The photographer was nice, but he's not my favorite. He's very 1980's and posey-posey with his photos. I had to be VERY firm about his not including props and keeping the background muted and simple. The photos are good, but they're still stiff and posed. I greatly prefer the more natural photos Slugger and I had taken through the Celebrating Adoption program.

Anonymous said...

That cookie--so delicious, I mean gorgeous!

I hope you'll share the ones you choose.

Tami said...

PLEASE share the ones you pick. I've been wanting to do the Celebrating Adoption pics as well, but haven't had the time to schedule it yet. I'd love to see how yours turn out. I, too, prefer the natural pics as opposed to the in-studio posed ones. Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful!! I can see why you're having trouble deciding. The photos of you and Z-man are so, so wonderful. I got teary looking at them!

Yes, please share when you make your decision!