Thursday, November 29, 2007

Let's Talk Turkey

No, this isn't going to be a belated Thanksgiving post. Today I want to talk about Post Adoption Depression. I have been struggling with depression since we got home with Smiley and have been trying to combat it with natural remedies. A few weeks ago it got so bad that Zman threatened to tie me up and drag me to the doctors office if I didn't go myself. After a very through exam and questionnaire, my doctor put me on a mild antidepressant. I had a hard time with the side effects for the first couple of weeks but I am finally to the point where I feel so much better than I did before I started the meds.

I was really hard to admit that I had a problem. I kept thinking that this was just a temporary thing and I would feel better soon. I felt like it was my fault that everything wasn't sunshine and roses once we got our long awaited son home. I thought that if I just changed my attitude that things would get better. I'm very thankful that my loving husband has had a lot of experience dealing with people with depression and recognized the signs. Without his encouragement to get help I would probably still be suffering and unhappy.

Here is a great quiz you can take if you think you might be suffering from PAD. I had to learn the hard way that there is no shame in getting the help you need. It may take me several months to feel 100% myself again but it's nice to finally feel like I'm on the right path!




11 comments:

Sandi said...

What a wonderful blessing your husband is. I am so glad that you had the courage to get the help you needed. I will be praying for you to grow stronger each day.

Michelle Smiles said...

So glad your hubby nudged you into the doctor's office and so happy the meds have helped. And PAD is a tough thing to talk about and admit because our kids are home - we are supposed to be happy! But the reality isn't alway so rosy. Keep talking and keep feeling better.

Jenny and Matt said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better.
Thanks for sharing - that's a hard thing to talk about.

Maggie said...

You're not alone Carrie. I had post-adoption depression too. Unfortunately, even though my agency suggested it might be an issue for me (they totally saw the signs), I didn't believe it until I started coming out of the fog. It's strange, because not only do you have this little stranger in your house -- you also are no longer adopting. For me that was really weird -- I had been "adopting" for so long I didn't really know who I was without it.

I'm glad you recognized what's going on and got help. You'll come out of this just fine.

ferenge mama said...

THANK you for your honesty and openness about this.

I hope that other adoptive moms who are depressed will go see a doctor.

Depression is a chemical imbalance, not a "feeling", and it can be medically treated.

And kudos to the hubby, too!!

Tami said...

What a great hubby! And I'm so glad you followed his advice. I am also glad you're sharing your experience. The more we talk about it the less likely other women are to just endure it.
I suffered from PAD after each adoption. But unfortunately it was before there was a label for it and I did nothing about it. It was the most miserable time of my life.
While I hope to come out on the other side of this adoption just fine, this time if I struggle, I am definitely getting help.

Melissa said...

sending you hugs. sometimes it takes a spouse to put you on the right path.

Anonymous said...

Ooh Sug,
Me too, the first time around and it was awful. I'm so glad you got the help you needed. Here's to good mental health!

Tasha Kent said...

wow. thanks for such honesty!!

Lisa J. said...

Thanks for sharing that. It is good to talk about and not something to bottle up. Take care.

Anne said...

Carrie, please know that I'm thinking of you and hoping things keep improving. This could happen to any of us. This whole process and adjustment is full of HUGE changes -- and some of them are so hard.

Sending lots of hugs and wishing you peace and happiness...now and always!