Friday, November 2, 2007

Lasagna Heaven

About a month ago I got the cooking bug and decided to make some homemade lasagna. I used the recipe Mary-Mia posted a long time ago and then decided, since I had already destroyed the kitchen, to make a second one for the freezer. I don't really care for meat lasagna much so, throwing caution to the wind, I adapted her recipe to a vegetarian one. It's been sitting in my freezer for a couple of weeks and I decided to pull it out for dinner last night. It was very tasty so I thought I'd pass on the recipe in case anyone else wants to give it a try.

Carrie's Veggie Lasagna

- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon whole basil, diced
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1-pound can of organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12 ounces of organic tomato paste
- 10 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 package frozen organic spinach
- 3 cups fresh Ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound shredded Mozzarella cheese

Start the salted water boiling early because it takes a while. Make sure to use a pot big enough for the noodles to move around freely. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a 4qt sauce pan and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cook noodles in the boiling water until tender. When they're done I put the whole pan in the sink and run cold water in it until the water in the pan runs cold then I let them sit until I'm ready to start assembling the lasagna. Then I pat the noodles dry with a paper towel before adding them.

Rinse the spinach in cold water until it's thawed, then squeeze out all the liquid you can. Combine it with the remaining ingredients except Mozzarella cheese and mix well.

Place half the noodles in a 9 x 13 baking dish, spread with half the ricotta cheese filling, layer with half the Mozzarella cheese, then half tomato sauce. Repeat the layers one time. I throw a little extra mozzarella on top for fun.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes covering with tin fold as needed to prevent the top from getting too dark. Let stand 10 minutes (if you can wait that long) before cutting so the filling can set.

The only one who wouldn't eat it was Princess because she hates lasagna and spinach(and most other foods.) Cookie loved it and even had seconds. We have enough leftover to feed us for at least two meals so I think Princess will be eating a lot of PB&J this week!




1 comments:

ferenge mama said...

yum! that sound delish!