Monday, October 29, 2007

The Clothes Wars

I can't believe it's starting already. The arguing and fighting and disagreements about my daughters clothing choices. She's 7 for goodness sakes! I'm not a super conservative person but I cringe at a lot of what is available for girls her size in our local stores. Princess and I had it out not long ago because I wouldn't buy her a leopard print spaghetti strap tank with matching hot pants... How unreasonable of me!

At this point I'm not even sure why I have to have this fight with my daughter. Why do manufactures make clothes like this (and worse) for children that young? I'm still doing OK with my three year old but the skanky clothes are even starting to take over her section of the clothing department. I usually turn to the internet for clothing relief, stores like Hanna Andersson are fabulous about making clothes that are both trendy and modest but, with our current budget so tight these days, those stores are out of my price range, leaving us with no choice but to brave the slim pickings at the department stores. Maybe the trick here is to convice my kids to stop growing out of their clothes so fast!

Recently ABC News did a story in argument for modesty in our young girls’ fashion and I hope it starts getting the attention it needs.



I think Galvanized summed it up best when she said:

Because, frankly, I think that we parents and our daughters are being insidiously bamboozled by the fashion industry, succumbing to pressure to spend money to look like shows featuring women we would not want our daughters to emulate.




5 comments:

Michelle Smiles said...

I am completely with you on this one! I hope that by the time Sabrina is a little older the fashions have swung back to a more modest trend. I can't believe some of the things I see in the store and see on little girls!

Tami said...

I hear you! Punky is seven as well (well, okay...next week) and I can't believe all of the completely inappropriate outfits, even at Target and Wa!mart. It's a struggle. Keep at it!

Maggie said...

I have a boy, so it's way easier! But I know exactly what you mean. One of my good friends has a step-daughter whose mom lets her dress terribly inappropriately. My friend has a difficult time finding clothes that her s-daughter will actually wear but are still age appropriate.

Type (little) a aka Michele said...

I know! I'm not a frills and lace and cutesy kind of mom, and if you don't go for that, then it's jr. slutwear. Also doesn't help that my 3 year old has MAJOR opinions about her clothes.

You should have SEEN the halloween costumes. A French Maid outfit for a toddler? Made me physically ill.

ferenge mama said...

OK, that is seriously frightening. Sproutie isn't even home, and I'm already worried about this.

Why, oh why, would people want to dress their little girls like ho's??