Saturday, October 27, 2007


Well, you learn something new everyday. Apparently you can fill out a form G-884 to request all of the original documents you brought in the huge brown sealed envelope and gave to immigration once you landed in the States.

Once you have complete your child's re-adoption, name changes, and have received their COC (certificate of citizenship), you can complete and send in this form to the USCIS office that last took action on your child's case and request the original documents. Some folks who have done this have gotten baby pictures and more information previously unknown from this paperwork. The best part? IT'S FREE! Here is a link to the form and filing instructions.

And just when you think all your paperwork is finally done...

I hope to be able to do this someday for Smileys paperwork but first I need to finally get down to the courthouse and get all the paperwork started for our re-adoption. Ugh, I need more hours in the day!


chou-chou said...

This is fantastic info! I had no idea there was a sealed envelope of stuff that you hand over, and never get to see... how exciting to finally see what is there.

Thanks for posting.

Mom of 5 said...

We just got Mia-Faith's citizenship stuff. I am going to apply and see what we get/

Waiting for Zufan! said...

Thanks for the info!!

MMrussianadoption said...

what if your state does not require readoption. Can you do it without it? Please EM me at