Friday, August 17, 2007

Count Down - 1 day left

I am so blessed to have my two amazing daughters in my life. They are so excited about their new baby brother coming home. So much so, that they are even willing to endure the agony of having mommy gone for two weeks. (Dad doesn’t really count here because he travels a lot for work and can be gone for weeks at a time already)

This morning as I was sitting at the computer for a quick email check before heading out for the day, Cookie came up and asked to see the pictures of her baby brother. This is a routine we through at least once a day. I pull up the folder that has all our Smiley pictures in it (the 12 total we have to date), we make them a big as possible and run through each one at least 2 times exclaiming over each one about his cuteness. Princess always joins in this daily ritual and we all have a favorite shot.

Cookie loves the one where you can see his curly hair. She’s at a point now where she really wants to have straight hair with bangs like her sister and her friends at school. She doesn’t understand why I can't magically straighten her hair and I’m not about to tell her about hair relaxers or straightening irons. She takes comfort in the fact that her brother has curly hair just like her! She tells me all the time how much her brother looks like her and I love that she can look at this picture and see the similarities rather than the differences.

Princess likes the one where we can see Smiley’s long beautiful hands. Short stubby hands are the norm in my family so when I was born with long graceful fingers it was something that everyone always made a big deal over. Z-man also has long fingers so it’s no surprise that both girls have them too. Princess loves to point out the Smiley must have been meant for our family because he too has long fingers. She's still working through her thoughts and feelings about Smiley being a different race from the rest of the family. She is old enough to understand a little bit about how people are treated differently based on skin color but can't understand why. She's still processing the whole matter and I'm sure we will have some interesting discussions as the years go by.

My favorite picture is one of the new ones…ok, both of them. I love being able to see his whole body and get an idea of his size and proportions. I love how much of a baby he still is and that little worried look of his is just so adorable. This picture just make me want to hug him close and kiss his little cheeks and wrap his little fingers around mine. I long to rip those stupid socks off him see what his feet look like and I wonder endlessly if his belly button is an inny or an outy. I can hardly believe that in a few days I’ll be able to satisfy my curiosity to my hearts content.

This morning as we were perusing the pictures Princess said “I really miss my brother” and then she paused and looked at me confused. “How can I miss him when I haven’t met him” she asked me.

“I don’t know sweet heart but I miss him too”




6 comments:

ferenge mama said...

First of all - WOW!! ***ONE DAY***!!!!

you sounds so calm - i would be completely losing it, I think.

and i just love it that your daughter said that she misses her brother - that is so sweet!

I hope you'll be blogging from Addis??

Jen said...

Loving this post Carrie. I love that they see the similiarities rather than the differences. If only the world were that way. They will be great ambassadors!

Good luck on your trip! One day, you must be going crazy with excitement. Take care and savor every moment.

Tami said...

She is so sweet! And ONE day!!! Wow! I can't wait to hear all about your adventure! Best wishes on your journey! :)

Mom 2 six said...

Safe travels !!
I can't wait ! I am so excited for you.

KrazyMom said...

I can't believe the time has finally come for you to travel and meet your new son! Praying you will have safe travels and that your girls will have so much fun with Grandma that the time goes quickly for them. Can't wait to hear all about it!!

Maggie said...

Oh my goodness your time has come! I'm so excited for you! I love how your girls are processing the changes in their own beautiful ways. What wonderful girls you have.