Thursday, May 24, 2007

Playing Around

As I briefly mentioned in my last post, I've been spending most of my free time lately helping out at a community construction project. In fact, we are currently building the largest play ground in the State of Alaska. It's HUGE! And, it's all built by volunteers with money we have raised over the last year.

I hate spending more time away from the girls but when I told them what I would be doing, they were more than happy to see me go. I think that every child in town is in a tizzy of anticipation, impatiently waiting for it to be done. It is scheduled to be finished this Saturday. Princess, being the forward thinking person that she is, decided to have her birthday party there this summer and had me reserve the shelter last March!

I've been thrilled to be a part of this project and it has been a blast. The atmosphere on site is great; it reminds me of an old fashion barn raising. I've run into almost everyone I know in town including my social worker, who stopped for a few minutes to get an adoption update...something I have no trouble talking about, endlessly.

The only problem I've run into on this project is the unexpected appearance of a bright yellow ball in the sky. Could it be the sun? We don't get much of that kind of thing here. It was great to have some nice weather to work in. I would even say it was hot; aka 70 degrees for all you non Alaskans. Since we are all out of the habit of dealing with such things, I'm sure you can imagine that many people, including yours truly, are sporting glowing new sunburns today. If fact, I haven't been this badly burned since I was 12 years old and spent the entire day in the outdoor pool at my Uncles house in Southern Utah, without sunscreen.

I'm extremely fair, burn easily, and have had several very bad sun burns over the course of my life...I am am a skin cancer poster child! You'd think I'd know better!! Oh well, off to go slather on some more aloe.




2 comments:

Jenny said...

That is, by far, the coolest playground I've ever seen! No wonder she wants her birthday party there. And beautiful scenery in the background! We've been seeing a lot of that bright yellow thing around here lately, and it's even been in the 90's! which is waaaaaaay too hot for us. We would LOVE Alaska, except all our family is here. Sigh, maybe someday

Tami said...

That looks like an awesome playground! I wouldn't mind playing on something like that! :)