Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Transracial Adoption

Erin posted a link to this great video on transracial adoption and since it's a subject near and dear to my heart, I think it can use some more exposure.



I know that nothing talked about in this video is shocking or new but it all bears repeating over and over. Transracial adoption is hard! It’s something that will always define us and the child we bring into our family. We have chosen to take this path. We have researched, discussed, and carefully examined everything about our beliefs and prejudices to decide if this is a journey we are ready and willing to take. We have made the best and most informed decision we were able to.

I don’t know what challenges the future will hold for us; each child, family, and community is different, but one thing I do know is that every adoptee that comes forward and talks openly and sincerely about their experiences helps us on our journey. Their stories are powerful tools that change how we face the challenges of transracial adoption, and I am very grateful for their courage and honesty.




3 comments:

beagle said...

Thanks for posting that video clip.

Anonymous said...

Yes...thanks for much. I forwarded your blog to my husband. We just got back from an informational meeting on international adoption (my second and my husband's first). My husband is having a lot of trouble trying to "imagine" what it would be like to raise a kid that if OBVIOUSLY not ours. This is our only option to have kids and it just frustrates me that he isn't on the same page as I am. How did you and your husband come to agreement on international adoption? Were you both interested in it from the beginning?

Melissa said...

thanks for the video. It will be a hard road, but you will be strong enough to get through it.