Tuesday, October 24, 2006

blood draws and xrays and surgery...oh my!


While things maybe moving slowly on the adoption front, things are speeding along as far as my pending surgery is concerned. I had my consultation with the surgeon yesterday and he agrees with my PCP that the gallbladder has got to go. Ok, I’ve done a lot of research over the last few weeks and I agree, though I don’t like it! Well, it turns out that he had an opening in the OR this Friday. Yup! In 3 days.

This is all coming together so quickly that my head is spinning. I have to go in this afternoon for a pre-op appointment and a blood draw. Of course being the very forward thinker that I am, I donated blood last week. I’m not sure if this will affect my ability to go into surgery now or not. I guess I’ll find out this afternoon…

I’ve never had surgery before so I’m glad I don’t have a lot of time to dwell on it. Since it’s done laparoscopicly, it’ll be an out patient procedure and I should be back on my feet and back to work within a week. Of course I had to sign all the consent forms saying that while it should be done laparoscopicaly, that things could come up during surgery that would require them to go in the traditional way. I really hope that we don’t have to go there…6 weeks recovery is not something I want to contemplate at this point.

So, by the weekend, I should have a lot more time for reading and commenting on everyone’s blogs. Get writing now gals…I’m counting on you to entertain me.




6 comments:

Jenny and Matt said...

I survived having my GB removed 9 years ago. As my mom tells it, I demanded a cheeseburger the day after surgery, so it can't have been that bad.
Good luck Carrie!

Yeah So said...

Good Luck though I'm sure you won't need it. Surgery is good because people are extra special to you after it. Hope you milk it for all it's worth!

Maggie said...

My best friend just had that done earlier this year. It was scary for her, but she felt much better after. The worst of the healing time was over in a couple of days but she was a bit weak and sore for a while afterward.

I agree with Steph, milk it for what it's worth!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was fast! Probably good not to have too much time to think about it, and before you know it will all be behind you.

Hoping for an easy, uncomplicated procedure and a quick recovery for you -- you'll be in my thoughts! :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your surgery. I hope all goes well and you have a relaxing recovery reading blogs!

Anonymous said...

Popping back over to say I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Good luck, and here's to a smooth procedure and a super quick recovery!