Monday, November 17, 2008

Send more chocolate please...

You know you are going to have a bad day when you wake up, turn on your computer, and get a blue screen of death! Yup, complete hard drive failure. Thankfully, everything that was REALLY important was backed up to the network - I did learn that lesson at least. Everything that was lost is replaceable, but the whole thing is highly inconvenient and irritating!

Zman did a recovery on the drive and we were able to rescue somethings but were very lucky to retrieve even the scant amount we did. It's interesting to go through the files that were recovered and see what was saved and what was lost. Things that are lost and gone forever include all my old blog templates but 1/3 of the graphics remain. All of my fertility tracking database was saved but I lost all the re-adoption documents and paperwork... thank heavens I have all the hard copies in the safe. All of my recipes are gone (including my Thanksgiving ones) but all of the music I never deleted after I helped my brother load his Ipod, well, that we still have...unfortunatly.

I spent hours yesterday trying to reconstruct my computer. You forget all the little things you do that make a computer your own until they are all gone. All the small programs I've downloaded, all the personalizations, all the bookmarks... Thankfully I still have time to recreate my Thanksgiving recipe folder and prep time-line (anal much?) before the big day.

All in all, I know that this is a small inconvenience compared to the real tragedies of the world, but I'm starting to get a little paranoid. What's next?




2 comments:

Deb said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of pics and data. Glad to hear you were able to recover bits and pieces. Enjoy some more chocolate!!!

paige said...

Oy--why is it pouring on you?


Sorry about this recent wave of maladie. I'm glad you were able to salvage a little at least.