Monday, September 8, 2008

SBP Saves the Day!

I hate being sick! I'm mean I really hate it. Some people are good about sucking it up and getting things done, Zman for one, I, on the other hand, am a complete baby. It's a fault, sure, but what can I say... I did give birth 100% naturally - twice - so I can't be a total wimp right?

Last week I had a bit of an ear ache which I figured was from walking home from the bus stop in the wind without my hat; I have sensitive ears and wind blowing in them always makes them hurt for a few days. Since it wasn't a big deal, I just complained a smidge and went on with things. Then, Friday night all eck broke loose. Lets just say that someone jamming an ice pick in my ear would have been less painful! I'll be kind and spare you the yucky details, but it was definitely an ear infection.

Now, I haven't mentioned it before, but I've been having some "issues" with my liver enzymes over the last 8 months which, after the last blood test, made my doctor decide that I could no longer have any alcohol or any meds that effect the liver. Well, I'm not a big drinker, like one or two a year, but, with my semi monthly migraines, living without any and all over the counter pain medication has been rough. I'm guessing you can see where this is going... Extremely painful ear infection + no pain meds = one grumpy, whiny baby, I mean Carrie.

Since my ear decided not to flare up until the weekend, and my co-pays for urgent care/ER visits are cost prohibitive, (like the only-if-a-body-part-is-actually-falling-off kind of expensive) I had to suck it up and wait out the weekend; much to my husbands chagrin, I'm sure. Today my plan was to go see my doctor since I already had appointments for Zboy and Princess for their overdue well-child checks. That would have worked out great except that the receptionist from work call this morning to let me know she had sprained her knee over the weekend and was staying home today. One guess on who has to fill in at the front desk when she's out. Yeah, that would be yours truly.

I had to drag my sorry butt into work an hour earlier than usual and work the full 9 hour day when I usually only work 4. Zman had to rearrange his whole day to take the kids to their appointments and my appointment for those much needed antibiotics got postponed until tomorrow... Yes, there was much self pity happening in the reception area this morning and there is nothing like being stuck answering 100 Sarah Palin media calls to add to an already bad day!

I pretty much figured the whole day was a wash and I should just go to bed and get it over with when Zman came in with the mail and TWO gifts from my secret blog pal. She sent a couple of very sweet and uplifting cards, a HUGE bag of Dove dark chocolate, a bag of sour patch kids (a rare treat around here as we ALL love them), and a gift certificate to Amazon.com! Wow! After a bad weekend and a never-ending Monday, this was just the pick-me-up I needed. Now I can ply the kids with high fructose corn syrup and pizza, and OD on chocolate while perusing my Amazon wish list for just the right book... ah, bliss.

Thanks for saving my Monday Secret Blog Pal. Now if only you had a magic ear infection cure, I would leave Zman instantly and become your devoted follower for life!




0 comments: