Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Unexpected adventures

I'm in Seattle right now. My mom was in a serious car crash Monday night and needed to be medi-vaced to here. I came with her of course and am staying at a hotel near the hospital. She was t-boned on the driver's door and they had to use the Jaws of Life to get her out.

My mom is going a lot better now. Her spleen has a tear that they are watching closely right now but the doctors don't think will need surgery. Her pelvis was fractured in four places but is currently stable and so we are hopeful she won't need surgery to insert pins and plates. Her rib fractures complicate her recovery as she has a hard time putting her weight on her arms to use a walker. The Doctors can't tell at this point how long we will be here. We have been getting mixed messages on whether we will be able to get home before Christmas (if we can even get a flight!)

I'm doing fine here and am grateful to be able to be here to help my mom as much as possible. I breaks my heart be missing Cookie's birthday on tomorrow and possibly Smiley's first Christmas but the best present in the world is that my mom wasn't more seriously injured and is still with us for the holidays. I'll keep you updated as I know more.




7 comments:

Maggie said...

Oh, wow. Sending prayers your way.

Michelle Smiles said...

How scary! Glad she seems to be on the mend - you will both be in my thoughts.

Elle said...

Man that is scary! If I wasn't sick I would be up there to take you out to lunch and bring you some cookies. But I don't think I should expose you to any of my cooties that you could pass to your mom. Hope you get home by Christmas.

KrazyMom said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's accident. Glad things are stable and will keep her in prayer!

ferenge mama said...

OMG - that is really frightening.

Thank God she survived it, and it's great you are able to be by her side.

I'll be keeping you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers.

Mom 2 six said...

You and your mom are in our thoughts and prayers !

A Room to Grow said...

Just catching up. Hope mom is doing OK. Must have been really scary to get this call. Take care.