Friday, December 21, 2007

Friday Update

Today I've been fighting off a terrible case of home sickness. Well, truth be told, I miss my kiddos and my hubby, the messy house is not missed AT ALL. When I talked to Zman on the phone this morning I could her Smiley babbling in the background and it just about broke my heart. I'm sure he doesn’t understand why I've just disappeared. We've been making good strides on the attachment front and now I'm really worried that we are going to have a big back slide. Cookie is being a trooper but has been really weepy since I've been gone and my drama girl, Princess, is making daddy's life difficult for him.

My mom is doing so well that she is going to be discharged from the hospital either late this afternoon or early tomorrow. They are moving her to a nursing home just north of Seattle for a few weeks to continue her physical therapy until she is strong enough to fly home. I'll be coming home this weekend and then flying back down when she is ready to come home to help her transfer.

I worry about mom being here by herself but we can't afford for me to pay for a hotel and food for that long, not to mention that I think I would go crazy if I were gone from the kids for that long. I'm hopeful that one of my mom's brothers or sisters will be able to come up to visit during that time but that's a long shot. It's hard to think of her here, all alone, for Christmas. Not to mention that my birthday is next week and she won't be there to celebrate with me.

I guess I just feel really torn between my responsibilities to my mom and my need to be home. If I could figure out how to be in two places at once I would totally do it! My mom is going to need long term care for several months so once we do get her home she'll be staying with us until she is able to care for her self enough to be alone at her place. We've set up a power of attorney so we can get the ball rolling on her insurance issues and get her personal items out of her car.

I looked up the crash today for the first time and this is the news article I found.

"Jaws of Life" used to rescue woman trapped in vehicle

A woman had to be extracted from her vehicle after a collision on Egan Drive at Vanderbilt this evening. (Monday)

The two vehicle accident was reported at about 6-13 p.m.

According to the police investigation, a 1998 Toyota Corolla driven by a 53 year-old Juneau woman turned from Vanderbilt on to Egan drive against the red light.

The Toyota was struck broadside by a 1997 Nissan Pickup driven by a 26 year-old Juneau woman.

The driver of the Toyota was transported to Bartlett Regional Hospital after Capital City Fire Rescue personnel extricated her from her vehicle using the Jaws of Life.

The driver of the Nissan Pickup suffered less serious injuries and went to the hospital in a private vehicle.

Their names have not been released.

Both vehicles were a total loss.

Scary and totally not like my mom to run a red light. Since she has no memory of the crash she can't refute the charges so I think they'll stick and all the insurance nightmare will be on her shoulders. Oh well, we're just going to have to deal with one problem at a time.

Oops, looks like my computer time is up. Thank you all for the good wishes... it looks like they worked. My mom is doing great and I'll be home with my family for Christmas! I can't wait.




5 comments:

Deb said...

Oh my! I'm so glad your mom is doing better. I'll be praying for her and your family. It sounds like it's going to be a long road to recovery.
Glad you'll be home with the family for Christmas.

Anne said...

Carrie -- I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's accident. Thank goodness she's recovering -- but how frightening. Thinking of you!!

ferenge mama said...

Glad to hear you mom is doing so much better, but I'm sorry to hear you are so torn.

Sounds like it will be good that she'll be coming home with you eventually - then you can have everyone in the same spot.

You are still in my thoughts and prayers

Sig said...

Oh Carrie, I am so very sorry! Your poor mom, thnak God she is recovering. Hugs to you all.

junglemama said...

I'm sorry about your mom. Hope you get back to your family soon. :) Your husband sounds sweet.