Sunday, December 30, 2007

Big Day

Today is my Birthday and I'm very thankful that I was able to be home, even if my son has shared his cold-of-doom with the whole family and the amount of snot being produced around here is legendary. We had a wonderful Christmas that was all the more precious because we weren't sure until the last moment that I would be able to get home in time.

I ended up getting home around 10pm on Christmas Eve and came in to find all of my children still awake and waiting for me. I will always remember the look on Smiley's face as he saw me. The child was gob-smacked. He was literally stunned to see me...I guess he thought I had gone the way of many "moms" before and was gone for good. He stared at me for a while with a shocked look on his face and never broke eye contact even when I picked him up. He leaned back a bit to look at me and then, after a minute, he leaned in a gave me a huge kiss right on the mouth.

After that he seemed to come out of his shock and squealed with happiness and proceeded to spend the rest of the night and most of the next day attached to my hip and giving me random hugs and kisses. He was very happy to have me home!

Besides today being my birthday and, in my opinion, more importantly; today is the day that Smiley had been with us longer than he was in the orphanage. How quickly the time is passing. We have seen some really big changes in his attachment over the last month and he is like a different child since I've been home. He smiles more, he gives hugs and kisses freely, he plays with his sisters, he will occasionally fall asleep in our arms, and just overall seems more content. We still have issue to work on but I finally feel that he is MY son and I am HIS mom.

What a wonderful birthday gift!




9 comments:

Jenny said...

Carrie, I'm glad you made it home for Christmas, and even more importantly, I'm so glad Smiley wasn't mad at you and responded so well to you. We recently passed that "home longer than not" date too and it was so great for all of us!

Michelle Smiles said...

Happy Birthday!

So glad you made it home for Christmas and Smiley is doing so well!

Jenny and Matt said...

Happy Birthday!
I'm so glad you made it home for Christmas and that the family is doing well!

Mom 2 six said...

Glad you are home !
Happy Birthday....attachment, smiley, snotty kisses those are the best gifts ever...

Tami said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you made it home in time for Christmas. What a blessing to have that kind of a welcome! :)

ferenge mama said...

Happy Birthday!!

And, I'm *thrilled* to hear you got home for Christmas. So fantastic.

Maggie said...

Happy Birthday. I'm very glad you were able to be home for Christmas. I take this to mean your mom is doing better?

Christie said...

Hey there - thanks for stopping by the blog! It's so nice to meet people who have come out on the other side of the process! Totally gives us a sense of encouragement.

So glad you made it home for Christmas - what a special gift!

Farrah said...

Hello,
You don't know me I don't think but I was wondering if you would email your info on Ethiopia...
We are researching adopting from there and would love your input.

adoptingmom29@yahoo.com