Thursday, October 4, 2007

Heading in the right direction

Thank you all for your kind words during what has been a rough transition home. Things are finally starting to calm down a bit around here and the good moments outweigh the bad. We are extremely blessed to have lots of family and friends here and they have really surrounded us with love and support. Also, I have the best husband in the world and he has given 200% since we've been home. I would be lost without him.

Smiley is doing so much better that, at times, it seems like he's a completely different child than the one we brought home. We had no idea how much his breathing issues were affecting him until they started to get better. He has tons more energy, sleeps less during the day, plays and babbles more, and in general is just a much happier baby.

I feel really badly that he was so sick and we didn't know it. He had a wheezy chest and goopy lungs from the moment we met him so we didn't have anything to compare to. Since we started him on the steroid burst there has been a night and day difference in his breathing. Now that I know what he should sound like, he will never get that bad again...believe me

Sleep another area that has improved ten-fold since we started his treatments. Just in the last few days he has fallen into a doable pattern that allows Zman and me to get at least 5 straight hours each. He goes to bed at 9, and then is up for a bottle around 11, 2, and 5 and then is up for the day sometime between 7 and 8. We share the 11 pm feeding as one or both of us are usually still up then. Zman handles the 2 feeding and I field the 5 am kettle call. That way we both get a good sized chunk of uninterrupted sleep. While we are both still tired all the time, we are no longer in danger of falling asleep while driving or chopping of a finger making dinner.

Cookie is still having nightmares off and on, but now only ends up in bed with us once or twice a week. Princess is still giving us a run for our money but bedtime is getting better and last night both girls were asleep by 9pm. Of course this morning she made up for it by refusing to eat what I made for breakfast and then pitching the biggest fit in the world when I told her that she could eat what was available or skip breakfast all together. She chose to scream blood murder all the way to school. *sigh*

Getting some decent sleep, a concept that has changed completely since having kids, has made all the difference in my ability to be more positive with all the kids. I feel like I’m starting to get into the groove of things. We may eat crappy take-out more than I’d like, and I won’t even comment on the state of my laundry, but the basics are coming together.

I think we may just make it after all!




5 comments:

Headmeister said...

Carrie,

Thank you SO MUCH for your comment on my blog. I followed it here, saw your beautiful girls, and then saw your sons precious smile - and it made me cry happy tears. Seeing his sweet face solidifies my knowing that I have a child in Ethiopia AND in China. I've always felt it and known it, and he just reassured me that I have been right all along :)

So glad to hear that he's breathing better and that the dust is settling... take care, and I'll be a regular visitor from now on :)

Hugs!
Heather

ferenge mama said...

so so happy to hear that things have turned a corner.

lack of sleep makes ANY situation harder, and i can't even imagine how you've been handling everything you have been thrown recently.

you are a superstar!

Mom 2 six said...

Glad things are better !!

Sig said...

HUgs to all of you. You are slowly making your way to normalcy.
Now I want to see more pictures. :)

Tami said...

I'm so glad things are easing up! I guarantee it will be even better in another month....it just takes time.
I'm so glad that Smiley is feeling better as well.