Sunday, September 9, 2007

If you don't laugh...

you'll cry!

Explosive bodily fluids are about to be discussed... you have been warned!

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. We have been taking turns feeling poorly around here this week. Princess gets the award for the most dramatic as after eating an entire bowl of oatmeal and berries she then coated her whole room with berry colored vomit. It looked like we had been slaughtering pigs in there! Thank god for the carpet cleaner.

I've been fighting off a killer sore throat and Zman has been battling the stomach bug Princess has. Smiley's chicken pox are just about gone but his chest cold is sticking around and making him miserable in the middle of the night. So far, Cookie is the only health person in the whole house... It's not a good thing when the 3 year old feels great and both parents are under the weather.

Thankfully we are all staring to feel much better. I can actually swallow with out swearing. Zman and Princess are eating in small quantities and there has been no more instances of regurgitation for the last 18 hours. Smiley is coping with the cold as well as can be expected and is starting to resemble the sweet baby we met in Ethiopia. He is making really good eye contact during his feedings and now will lift his arms to be picked up by his momma. He laugh and smile with me and pats my face when I'm giving him his bottle... all things that we haven't seen since we left Addis. I think that it's taken him a while to adjust to all the huge changes in his life on top of being a very sick little boy.

He has his first doctors appointment tomorrow. They didn't want us to bring him into the office until his chicken pox were no longer contagious so we haven't been in yet. We'll have to decide from there what we want to do about vaccinations and what blood tests we want to have done. Thankfully, our pediatrician is on-board with our parenting style and is someone who's advice I trust completely. I'm also hoping to feel her out on how much this kid should be eating. Since he's started feeling better he is really going to town on the food, wanting to have 4 to 6 ounces of formula every 2.5 to 3 hours and several jars of baby food everyday. I'm not one to let a child scream with hunger so I've just been feeding him whenever he wants to eat but Zman is afraid that we are feeding him too much... I'm interested to see what the "professional" stance is one this.

There you have it. We have even been to sick to take any pictures...something I plan to rectify soon so I can post pictures of our beautiful kids all together at last.




6 comments:

Jenny and Matt said...

I'm glad to hear (see?) from you!
Thank God you are all feeling better. We're anxiously awaiting some pictures....

Michelle Smiles said...

Oh I hope you all continue to feel better. How awful to arrive home and everyone be sick!

Mom 2 six said...

Oh I feel for you !!
I hope evveryone is on the mend...

Melissa said...

Hope you all feel better soon. That sucks when everybody feels yucky.

Anonymous said...

OMG...your son is beautiful.

ferenge mama said...

So glad to hear that you all have (I hope!) turned the corner in your respective illnesses and are starting to feel a bit better.

I can't imagine how exhausted you must be! But you must be just over the moon with happiness every time you look at that beautiful boy.

So happy for you!