Monday, August 13, 2007

Trying not to be sick

I think I'm going to have to stop coming to my Blog page. That nice little count down timer on the left is really starting to freak me out! We leave in 5 days. I'm now living with a constant low level nausea that nothing can touch... it reminds me a bit of morning sickness. I woke up this morning in a panic that we still have so many things to finalize and not much time left to do it.

We spent most of the weekend cleaning and organizing the house. I clean out closets that haven't seen the light of day since we moved in 5 years ago. We moved all the furniture and steam cleaned all the carpets. I washed and folded all the baby clothes but I'm still not sure what sizes to take. I have a good collection of both 6-9 month and 12 month clothes but can't know what will fit him best until we meet him. I have no idea what size shoes to bring for him.

I have to spend a good portion of the day today working on the volunteer schedule for Princess's class which means calling everyone and harassing them until they sign up for their classroom volunteer, fun, fun! I also need to find some time to sit down and go through all the paperwork our agency just sent us for our embassy appointment; I-600s and I-864s and DS-230s, oh my! I was hoping that our paperwork days were behind us.

I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that we will be bringing home a new child. Wow! It's so surreal. I wonder at what point it will all feel real. When we board our plane to Ethiopia? When we arrive in Africa? (OMG, Africa!) When they hand us our son for the very first time? When we take custody of him? When we leave Ethiopia and everything our son has known? When we arrive home and introduce him to his new big sisters and see his beautiful face in our house?

Those of you who have been there, done that; when does it stop feeling like a dream?


Tami said...

The first time they throw up on you!
No, really! :) I felt like I was babysitting Q-ball for the first couple of weeks until one morning he ate too much and tossed his cookies all over the front of my shirt and then started crying. Then I knew it was real...I was really his mom! :)
A memory I wouldn't change for anything.