Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Souvenirs

When I asked Princess what she would like me to bring her back from Ethiopia, other than a baby brother, I was expecting her to ask for clothes or toys but once again my oldest child surprised me. She wants me to bring her home some injera.

Injera, for those not in the know, is a flat sourdough pancake that Ethiopians use as both plate and utensils when eating traditional Ethiopian foods. My child has never eaten Ethiopian cooking but Zman did bring home a huge package of injera from an Ethiopia Shop in Las Vegas in the spring of '06. Apparently this made a huge impression on little miss Princess because although she has not had any since, the shop of closed the day Zman was there this spring, she still speaks fondly of that yummy Ethiopian staple.


Somehow I don't think that we will be able to bring home any injera this time though. I can't imagine it staying good in our luggage for the 3 days it's going to take us to get home. I am hoping to bring home some Ethiopian spices and I can purchase teff flour through our whole foods co-op so maybe I'll be able to pull together some traditional Ethiopian cooking once I get home... and recover from jet lag of course.

There is a great article in the New York Times today about injera.

IN neat head scarf and stained apron, Frehiwot Reta welcomed a customer into her tiny apartment in Harlem on a Sunday afternoon. Squeezing between stove, desk and dining table, she passed the woman a steamy bag of fresh injera, the tart, spongy flatbread that is, literally, the foundation of every Ethiopian meal...

read the rest of this article here




0 comments: