Thursday, August 9, 2007

ALL IS WELL


I am so glad that is all over! I knew it would be hard to watch my little girl go through all that but I had NO IDEA how hard!!

She wasn’t able to eat anything until after the procedure which was scheduled for 9:30 in the morning. Not too bad right? Yeah, except that they called a 9 to say they needed to push us back until 10 am. So what’s a half hour to a child who is scared out of her mind and is starving? Then we got there we waited in the waiting room for over an hour! I was anxious about the whole thing but putting on a good face so I didn’t freak Princess out any more than she already was but by the time she was finally called back my nerves were at the breaking point.

They gave her a shot in her arm to make her sleep before they did the IV; something we were both happy about. I had to drag her down the hall and sit on her to get that done. Then I sat a stroked her face and held her hand until she nodded off. That only took a few minutes. Then I was free to pace around the waiting room for 3 ½ hours while they worked on her teeth.

She ended up with two molar extractions that needed spacers placed, 1 baby tooth root canal with stainless crown, and 5 fillings… She has her daddy’s teeth poor baby. I was thrilled that we could get all that work done at once and she doesn’t remember a thing, which will hopefully help with her dentist anxiety, but I really hope w never have to do that again. Watching her go under was scary; watching her in pain and be completely out of it afterward was awful!

It took quite a while for all the meds to wear off and she spent a good portion of the evening tossing her cookies. When she finally was able to eat she just ate and ate and ate. The poor thing was starving! Today she is fine with just a little Tylenol and is running around the office showing everyone her extracted teeth in their little case.

It is definitely a weight of my shoulders that this is now behind us. I didn’t even realize how much this was hanging over me until this morning when everything seemed a little brighter. Boy this parenting gig just does not get any easier does it!




3 comments:

A Room to Grow said...

Way to go at the dentist! I went today as well, and they uncovered a small cavity so I have to go back in a couple of weeks to get it filled.

Tami said...

It is a tough gig, but one I wouldn't give up for anything. I remember when Punky came out of surger when she had her tonsils and adnoids removed. It something that needed to be done...but it's not any fun to watch your little girl go through it. Kudos to you for staying strong for her! :)

Melissa said...

I know what you mean. Our 2 year old boy had an operation in June and couldn't eat before either. I felt so helpless that I couldn't be there when he woke up or before when he was starving and couldn't understand why we were at the hospital. I couldn't explain to him what a gas mask was for or why he was here.