Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Decision Made! Thank Goodness!!

I have finally come to a decision on the job front. After talking to a very smart friend I realized that it doesn’t need to be all or nothing. I can try out solutions for now and if we just can’t make it work I can always quit later. If I quit now, that’s it! I can’t go back and change my mind. This makes good sense to me so I’m working on a game plan for the summer right now.

A friend gave me information about getting Princess into the Summer Rally program and I went to the pool and found out that they also have evening and weekend classes we can get Cookie into. I also had a great conversation with my boss who was very understanding of my situation and is willing to be very flexible over the summer. As long as I get my 20 hours in and am here to cover the receptionist lunch then I can work whenever works for me. Yea!

I love having a game plan! It’s a load off my mind to reach a decision and be able to get the ball rolling. I want to thank everyone who commented and emailed me personally about this. Your words of wisdom and support have been very much appreciated.

And on that topic… I read back over my last post on this subject this afternoon, I realized that I had done a major disservice to my wonderful husband. No one works harder for our family than he does! He works full time at an incredibly demanding job and then puts in between 20 and 30 hours working for our business. When he comes home, he always finds time to play with the girls, pitch in around the house, and head up the bedtime routine. I get jealous sometimes because he finds his work extremely rewarding and he is highly respected in the community, but I know that what he does is not all fun and games. He doesn’t get to spend as much time with the children as he would like. He misses out on field trips and play dates. He has to travel a great deal and doesn’t get to see the girls for weeks sometimes. When he does get home he has to deal with routines that have changed and children who have also changed and grown.

The transition from work to home can be incredible challenging. I know that the more I’m away from the girls the harder it is for me to deal with them when we are together. I notice that he has this trouble also. I’m lucky enough to be able to spend a lot of time with the kids so I know their patterns and routines; I know their ever changing likes and dislikes. Z-Man seems to always have to play catch up.

He fully supports our family. It must be very stressful to have that kind of responsibility sitting on your shoulders. Our success depends on his success. He does an amazing job at juggling all his responsibilities and still being a wonderful father and husband. When I ask him what I should do about my job, he always says that I should do whatever makes my happy. (And he means it!!) Even though I know life would be easier for him if I stayed home, he has never once asked me to that.

I know that life isn’t any easier for him than it is for me. He makes all kinds of sacrifices for the good of our family and our children. They are different sacrifices than the ones I have made, but that doesn’t make them less important or less valued. I would hate for him, or anyone else, to think that I don’t understand that, even if I can get whiny sometimes about how difficult this parenting/being a grown up gig can be.




1 comments:

Maggie said...

I'm glad you made a decision you're comfortable with. Isn't it great to have bosses that are flexible? Mine is awesome, too, and I don't take it for granted.