Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Knitting to pass the time


A little over two years ago, in an effort to become more crafty, I took up knitting. In my anal retentive way this involved me buying several how to knit books, yarn, knitting needles, etc. and tying myself into knots (literally) until I figured it out. Yes my friends, I taught myself how to knit. While this accomplishment amazes the knitters among my friends and acquaintances, it does have serious drawbacks.

For example, I can't for the life of me figure out how to knit a sock. I know how to use DPNs because I have advanced past scarves and afgans to hats, but the whole gusset thing is beyond me at the moment. I've been studiously working on matching scarves and hats for the girls over the last few months and now that I'm almost done I'm hoping I can find someone to walk me through the intricacies of socks and sweaters. My coworker just loaned me her copy of "Knitting Rules" by the Yarn Harlot and I'm really enjoying it.

I figure keeping my mind and hands busy learning a new skill might keep that mind and those hands from endlessly searching the internet for referral news and calculating the odds of traveling this summer. A girl can hope!

.




3 comments:

Yeah So said...

Knitting socks is not that hard, and quite addicting once you get the hang of it. I recommend getting the book "Sensational Knitted socks" by Charlene Schurch. There is a small practice sock in there that is very helpful. Or if you send me your address I could send you some instructions.

Also check this out! : http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html

Jenny said...

That's funny Carrie! I decided to learn to crochet - which I did. Kind of - I just can't for the life of me go in circles. All I have to show for my efforts are a few scarves. I just don't have the patience or the talent. I think my yarn and hooks are going to be trashed soon...

Elle said...

I too taught myself how to knit, but I am really really bad. So I have all this yarn and no energy to figure out anything past a scarf.