Friday, February 23, 2007

Melissa Greene - Africa, AIDS, and Adoption



I found this great video clip of Melissa Fay Greene talking about Ethiopian adoption. I was just talking to someone in the beginning stages of an Ethiopian Adoption a few days ago about how adoption isn’t the answer to the orphan crisis in Africa. We had a nice discussion about how hard it is to know that the money we spend on adopting a child could feed an entire family in Ethiopia for years.

For me personally, I know that adoption isn’t the answer to the orphan problem in Africa, or any other country for that matter. I want another child. I want to be a parent and that is why I’m adopting. I think it’s amazing that somewhere there is a child in need of a family and we can meet that one child’s need while fulfilling our own. I feel blessed that I have the all the privileges that allow me the option of building my family this way. I do not think that my adoption will help Ethiopia or is the way to impact the challenges that county faces.

Since we started this journey, I have become increasingly attached to Ethiopia. It’s a beautiful country with a rich heritage and proud cultural traditions. I’m adopting not only an Ethiopian child, but the entire package that comes with him and I think part of that is an obligation to do things that will impact the problems in Ethiopia.

One of my goals while we wait for our referral is to search out ways we as a family can truly help make a difference in Ethiopia. I’ll keep you posted on what we find and how we decide to contribute. The one thing I do know is that no matter what we decide to do, it’s a journey that will be just as rewarding as the one we are on now.

Now the whole Starbucks issue will have to wait for another day!




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this video. I have been considering adoption from Ethiopia and you have a very resourceful blog.