Monday, December 18, 2006

Consumerism and Fingerprints

We’re back! We had a very nice weekend in Anchorage. The flights were short and uneventful, the food was great, the hotel was nice, and the shopping was terrific. In fact, we left with only one checked bag and came home with three. While this may seem like overkill, Cookie’s birthday is this week and so we need to find presents for her as well as Christmas gifts for the whole clan.

Can I just say that the gift giving thing is really starting to become difficult? The girls have every toy they could possible need. The grandparents take care of sending mountains of clothes. They own over 500 books between them. I just couldn’t, for the life of me, think of what to get them this year. Our house is full to overflowing with more things than we use. We also have been having the traditional holiday issues over who is hosting Christmas Dinner and who can come and who can (or cannot) pray in who's house… I think Chris’ post about this really sums up how I’m feeling about holidays this year.

On a happier (?) topic, the finger printing was stressful but successful. We got to the Department of Homeland Security a little before our appointment time, went through the metal detector and faced the incredible unfriendly guard, and then ended up waiting in an empty room forever. This room was creepy. It just had two sets of chairs facing each other on either side of the room and a door that locked on each of the other walls. There was nothing on the walls except a really big clock.

Finally an extremely curt man came in and asked to see our hands. He pronounced me fit to go and said that because Z-Man had a mark on one of his fingers that he probably wouldn’t be able to be fingerprinted that day and we’d have to come back another time. As you can imagine, this cause our stress level to rise considerable as we had just flown 600 miles to be there! After pleading our case he agreed to give us a try. Of course Z-Mans fingerprints when off with out a hitch but little miss-lotion-her-hands-obsessively-for-the-past-two-weeks had to have each finger done 2 or 3 times and then just barely passed! All I can say is that I’m glad that is all behind us now.

I’m pulling together the few remaining documents we need for the dossier this week and I’m planning to call and bother our home study agency again this afternoon about where we stand on the home study front. I’m still hoping that we can have this stuff all ready to send of in the first few weeks of January. Maybe that’s what I’ll ask Santa for this year…A completed dossier!


MAMB said...

So glad you can cross that off your list. I accidentally lotioned the day of the fingerprints (I misunderstood that I was supposed to do it on the days leading up to but not the day of) and they guy had to do mine several times. Always great to get another thing finished!

chou-chou said...

ugh, what a stressful process.

So glad you were able to get acceptable prints for both of you!

Margaret said...

One more thing down!

Wicked Witch said...

Cool beans.

MMrussianadoption said...

they had to redo my prints so many times too for the same reason. what can you do. at least it is one more thing to cross off the list