Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving Disaster

Yesterday was a horrible day. We had a major family emergency and my nice is still in the hospital today. My sister was out at the market with her kids and ran into an old family friend; this guy is like a brother to us. He put 4 year Lulu up on his shoulders (he’s 6’3”) and bent down to pick up another child and my sweet little niece fell right onto her head on the hard concert floor!

She was taken to the ER right away with the symptoms of a bad concussion. She has had 2 CAT Scans that showed a cracked skull but thankfully no swelling of the brain, blood, or fluid buildup. She has done some damage to her neck but at this time we don’t know how badly. She is scheduled for an MRI in about an hour. For awhile yesterday we thought she would be med-vaced to Seattle. She continues to have memory loss, cognitive issues, and wear a neck brace to immobilize her head and neck.

This is truly a disaster for my sister and her family. Not only is their little girl seriously injured but they do not have any health insurance.

Today, I am thankful that my niece was not more seriously injured!




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, that's incredibly scary! We'll be praying for your niece and her family, and also for the family friend who is no doubt wracked with guilt.

A Room to Grow said...

omg - i can not even imagine. sending good thoughts to your family...

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness. Prayers are coming your way. Is there anything we can do to help the family? Maybe donate some $$$ through Paypal or something?

Jenny and Matt said...

Sending lots of prayers

Anonymous said...

I always get so nervous when I see kids on shoulders- and this is my fear being realized. How scary and sad for the little girl and her family. I hope and pray she is O.K. and will recover soon.

Yeah So said...

oh my gosh - I will keep you & your family in my prayers.

Elle said...

Oh I am so sorry! Prayers certainly are coming your way!

ferenge mama said...

oh wow - how very scary! your sister and you and your family are in my prayers. and so is your poor family friend who put your niece on his shoulders... he must feel terrible.

Laura said...

Sending prayers to your sweet little niece and your family.
Laura