Thursday, November 9, 2006

Finally Feeling Better!


This week has been crazy. On Monday I went to the doctor again because I was still having pain issues and the over the counter pain relievers we no longer helping. She did some blood work and proscribed a mild narcotic to help with the pain. I took some as soon as I got home but didn’t notice any decrease in pain. Then, throughout the evening, my pain began to get worse and worse. At this point I decided to head to the ER and get some IV pain meds.

I was afraid that I was having some complications from the surgery. Z-Man was out of town, so my Uncle took me while my mom stayed with the girls. The ER was dead, thankfully, and I was seen right away. Not only did I get some pain meds that worked, I also got another CAT Scan (not my favorite) this time with contrast. They where concerned that I had a kidney stone. Everything came back negative and I was sent home with some stronger narcotics.

The next morning, after finally sleeping for more than 2 hours at a stretch, I head back to my doctors office to be poked and prodded some more. I’m very sensitive to narcotics and spent most of the time I was there shaking, crying, and trying not to vomit because of them. My doctor was worried that I had a blood clot in my lung, a potentially fatal complication, so I had more blood tests and when that came back positive, another CAT Scan. Thankfully they didn’t find anything! A week in the hospital and 3 months on blood thinners doesn’t sound pleasant.

So, what’s the result of all this testing? They have no idea why I’m having pain. The doctor then decides that maybe I have an undiagnosed ulcer and started me on some meds for that and yesterday, finally, the pain got much better. I’m off all pain meds right now and while it can still be very uncomfortable and I’m having trouble sleeping, I feel better than I have since before the surgery. Now I’m waiting for the pain to go away altogether so I can actually feel BETTER than I felt before surgery.

We have had some progress on the adoption, but I think I'll save that for the next post. I’d hate to mix cool adoption news with pathetic whining!




3 comments:

Melissa said...

I am glad you are finally starting to feel better. Take it easy for awhile.

Maggie said...

Ugh. This was a horrible recovery. But I'm glad you're on the upswing now.

Yeah So said...

oh geez...glad you are finally feeling better. I'm sure that was very scary!