Monday, October 2, 2006

In other news…

Since I’m still plodding away on the autobiography, the only remaining document we need to send in our home study packet, I though I’d talk about other recent events. My recent trip to the Doctor for the adoption physical had one or two unexpected results. A tender tummy and a history of gallbladder issues led to an ultrasound. This showed that I have a sizeable collection of gallstones; and you thought I didn’t have any hobbies!

My doctor also a bit concerned because the ultrasound also found a slightly enlarger right kidney. Since they aren’t sure if that means something wrong or if my kidney is just fashionably plump, it was decided that I should have a CAT scan to check it out. So after being poked, prodded, scanned, and x-rayed, what is the diagnosis? Heck, your guess is as good as mine!

I was CAT scanned on Thursday, September 21st and they said it would take 24hours to get the results to my physician. I was hoping to hear something Friday but understood that it may take a bit longer than anticipated. I called the office on Monday of last week and they said my Dr. was out until Wednesday. I called on Thursday and the nurse said she would ask her about it when she got it. I called on Friday and was told that the doctor had it on her desk and would call me in-between patients. As of yet, I still have heard nothing, zip, zero, zilch!

I think it must be one of two things. Either it’s really nothing and since it’s not emergent, she’ll get around to calling me whenever, or I’m going to die and she doesn’t know how to tell me… Either way our crappy insurance is going to make us pay through the nose for those tests. It’s a good thing we’ve already sent off the first big adoption check, we wouldn’t want that money just hanging around at a time like this!




4 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, I really hope it is nothing. You would have thought that the stones would have bothered you before now. At least you weren't in any pain. Are they going to remove them?

Maggie said...

My sister is a nurse and she always says that in the medical world no news is good news. Doctors don't let emergent issues just lie around the office.

Keep us posted!

M3 said...

Hope you hear good news soon - those tests are NO FUN. And you're right that even with insurance you get an eye-popping bill. Yeesh. So sorry you have to go through it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Anonymous said...

When my mom had her gallbladder removed when I was a kid, she brought the stones home (ick) and said she was going to make earrings out of them. She has that sick sense of humor all nurses seem to develop...

I hope everything's okay and that you get the all clear soon!