Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Poked and Prodded

I’m healthy! Yeah, I already knew that, but now it's official. After giving several vials of blood and being poked for a TB test last week, I received the form back from the doctor’s office today. Unfortunately, Z-Man didn’t take his form in with him when he went for his exam almost 2 weeks ago. When he finally got around to bringing in, they realized that he too needed blood tests and a TB test, so we are behind a week in getting his medical form done.

I’m hopeful that we will have that on Monday. The delay doesn’t bother me much (don’t tell him that though) because I’m having a hard time with my autobiography. It’s hard to draw the line between giving enough information and give too much. I’m starting to feel like I’m writing a book here. If I ever get out of childhood experiences it’ll be a miracle. I think I may need chapters!

For those who have done this daunting task, how did you get through the autobiography? Was it easy for you? Do you have any tips on how much info to give and better yet, what to leave out? Anyone feel like being a ghost writer?




7 comments:

Maggie said...

I didn't have to do an autobiography for either of my home studies. I had to fill out a big questionnaire that included lots of things like family history, family medical history, my parents strengths and weaknesses as parents, favorite memories, first jobs, and so forth. Then in the interviews they asked lots and lots of questions.

Good luck with your life story!

Anonymous said...

We didn't have to write an autobiography either, but my advice is tell them everything you want them to know, and leave out things you don't. Why create problems if you don't have to.

Dana said...

WE wrote autobiographies, but we had an outline and specific questions that needed to be answered. In the end, after feeling like we bared our souls too much, there was only positive information shared in the homestudy write up. I would be happy to forward you the format we used if you want to e-mail me. danaphleb@hotmail.com

Melissa said...

I think I hand wrote mine. Mike was smarter and typed his. It took us a long time too. Just put in the positives. You don't want them prodding into any negatives. Even for weaknesses and how discipline was handled, always put a positive spin on it.

Rhonda said...

Yeah, I agree with the other comments. We also felt like we bared too much. It was edited to only include positives. I had to remind myself that this wasn't a counseling session, it was a home study designed to bring my children home. Once I got that through my head, it also set the precedent for how we handled the interviews.

Deb said...

You're invited to be a part of the new "Blog-Pals connection" Come visit my blog for the explanation of what Blog-Pals is all about!

Anonymous said...

Our impression is that the autobiography serves as a cheat sheet for the homestudy. Basically they are making your do the writing. In other words, I don't think anyone reads it to plumb the depths of your personality and character, rather, it is good source material for them to lift from. Does that help? Probably too late eh?