Friday, February 8, 2008

The Birthday Post

We only had a very small family get together for Smiley's birthday. After having a couple of kids I'm kind of burnt out on the big birthday bash idea, so we save those for big milestones... ones the child in question will hopefully remember. I wasn't up for experimenting with my Ethiopian cooking (Zman was deathly ill with the flu last week and I'm still recovering from playing solo parent and Grandma keeper for 7 days), so I went Mediterranean on the finger food and did a (gasp) STORE BOUGHT cake! I love to bake from scratch so this was a big deal around here. I did whip up some killer hummus and baked pita bread though, so I'm not a total deadbeat mom.

Smiley loved the frosting but was unsure about the cake. I managed to get all of the obligatory frosting face pictures to blackmail him with later. He was uninterested in unwrapping his gifts but luckily his sisters and cousins where more than happy to help out. It's hard to believe that my baby is 1 already. I know I've said that each and every time one of the kids hits a birthday but this time it was harder because I know that he is my last baby and I missed the first 7 months of his life.

I thought a lot about his first family that day. I wondered if they were thinking about him and where they were and what they were doing. I want to be able to tell them that he's doing great; that he is such a remarkable blessing to me and that I promise to honor their sacrifice in giving him up by raising him with all the love, support, and understanding that I have. He is OUR son, theirs and ours, and he is amazing.

Ok, enough with the sappy stuff. Here is what you all came to see… the pictures!



Notice the huge goose egg on his forehead? He decided to take a header into the corner of the metal filing cabinet at work the day before the party. Good thing he has a hard head!




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had a fabulous time!