Monday, November 12, 2007

Almost Beef Stroganoff

We try to feed our kids health foods. I grew up as the oldest of four kids of a single parent and we ate mostly boxed Mac and Cheese and Hamburger Helper. Even now, I still have a weak spot in my heart for my preservative laden love, Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff. I haven’t had any in almost 12 years because after leaving home I committed to eating better and after having kids to feeding them the best foods I could.

I admit that we take the occasional trip through the McD drive through and have been known to let them eat more sugar then is good for them, they love sorbet, but on the whole we work hard to feed them well balanced diets made up with as many all natural and organic ingredients as possible. It’s not easy to afford those kinds of foods though, especially in Alaska where everything cost 15% more than “down south”.

So, when I got a coupon in the mail for $5 off all Natural ground beef at our local supermarket you had better believe that I was all over that, even though we NEVER eat ground beef. Ground turkey yes, ground beef no. I found a 1.24 pound package of beef that with my coupon costs me just a little more than $2. Of course once I got it home I then had to figure out what to make out of it.

After browsing my favorite recipe website, WholeFoodsMarket.com, I came across my own personal nirvana… All Natural Better-Than-Boxed Beef Stroganoff. I just could resist trying it. It was easy to make, it was fast and best of all, it tasted wonderful. (Not that my Princess would eat it but that’s nothing new.) Here’s the recipe with my own little modifications.

All Natural Better-Than-Boxed Beef Stroganoff

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cups chopped mushrooms - I did 3 1/2 cups. I love me some 'shrooms
1 pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey) - I used all of the 1.24 lbs I had; less would have been better.
1 recipe spice mix (below)
1 cup dry noodles - I just dumped in a bunch, maybe 2.5 cups, of egg noodles
1 cup milk - 1% Organic
1 cup low sodium beef broth - I used 2 cups to make up for the extra noodles
1/2 cup organic sour cream
1/2 to 1 cup grated Leerdammer (baby Swiss) or Provolone cheese - I left this off. It really didn't need it.

Sauté the mushrooms in olive oil over high heat stirring constantly until they give up most of their juice, about 10 minutes. Add the ground beef, turn heat down to medium and brown until cooked through. Drain the fat if necessary.

Add noodles, spice mix, milk and beef broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. If necessary, you can add more broth as you go along.

Stir in sour cream. Check seasonings, adding more if desired. Top with grated Leerdammer or Provolone cheese.

Spice Mix
1 package (about 1-ounce) natural onion soup and dip mix - I didn't have an all natural one so used lipton...it was a tad salty but not too bad
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion - didn't have any on hand so skipped this one
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon cornstarch



I'm definitely keeping this one in my recipe box. If for nothing else than comfort food when I'm craving some of mom's "home cooking."




0 comments: