Thursday, July 12, 2007

Drowning in cherries

My brother-in-law, Eeyore, arrived for a visit last night. Because there are so many things that are hard to get up here in rural Alaska, it’s a tradition that visiting family members go shopping before they come and load their bags down with hard to find items we are in need of. The longer we live here, the less I find that I miss… I guess you just get used to not having options after while – plus I am an expert internet shopper.

This year all I asked Eeyore to bring was some cherries; we can get them here but by the time they make it up on the barge they are old and are really expensive. I figured a few pounds of bing and rainier cherries would be an awesome treat. Leave it to my BIL to go WAY overboard. He stopped at the farmers market on the way to the airport yesterday and bought 30lbs of cherries… yes, 30!! Thankfully, he also was kind enough to buy a cherry pitter.

So after we all eat ourselves sick I’m still going to have around 20lbs of cherries left. What I need are some good cherry recipe ideas; if you have some good ones now is the time…please! Also, can you freeze cherries to use in recipes later? What is the best way to store them?

Help!




1 comments:

Elle said...

We've never had leftover cherries, but I think you can freeze them. Pit them first and put them in an airtight container. You won't be able to use them for anything other than pies or cooking. If you have a food dehydrator you could dry them or make a fruit paste to make fruit roll ups.