Tuesday, January 23, 2007

They really are real!

Ok, so I know I've met people who have successfully adopted either domestically or internationally, but thats just it... They have ALREADY adopted.

They already done their paper chase, had their wait, got THE CALL, held their child for the first time, and have become the people you ask about "What was it like?"

Until now. This last Saturday we met with with five other waiting families. Even though we were the only ones waiting for Ethiopia (four of the others are waiting for China, and one for Vietnam) it was still very comforting to hear other people talk about paper work, I-171H's, waiting, and the process in general.

This was a good start, but I do have to say that the absolute best part of meeting with these folks is that they all feel how we do about adoption. They have opened their hearts and minds to adoption and KNOW that their son or daughter is out there somewhere just waiting for them to come.

Of all the things that I find difficult to talk to people about when it comes to the adoption it is this concept. People will come to accept that we are adopting rather quickly, they'll even come around to the fact that we are adopting from Ethiopia, but I can always tell that underlying this acceptance is their question of "Why". This is not to say that it is a negative or derogatory "Why"... It just is a question they ask because they don't understand.

Nobody in that room on Saturday had that question mark behind their comments. Sure they were curious about Ethiopia and the process, but when it came down to it, We (Carrie and I) understood why they were adopting and vice versa.

Waiting families really are real and we even know some in Our Town!

-ZMan




4 comments:

Maggie said...

I'm glad you got to meet some other waiting families. Blog friends are great, but people IRL are terribly important. I know that I lean on my friends from hosting a lot. (Unfortunately I'm the last one waiting.)

Yeah So said...

I remember when we first met the other waiting couples from our agency - we felt the same exact thing. It was so great to finally be invited to the party!

S&C said...

I am glad you got to meet some waiting families. I know that wait is so hard. Good luck!

owlhaven said...

Congrats on getting going!! HOW THRILLING!

Mary, mom to many, including 2 from Ethiopia

http://ethiopia.adoptionblogs.com