Sunday, July 30, 2006

It was good while it lasted!

It started raining again tonight. That means that we had a grand total of 5 sunny days this month. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Our Town, but still... Every morning when Princess gets up, she runs into my office and asks me to check the weather forecast so she'll know what to wear for the day. (What can I say; the kid is anal like that...I blame her father) Last week, when met with the prospect of precipitation yet again, she threw herself down on the floor weeping for the rain to stop and lamenting that this was supposed to be SUMMER!

It's defiantly time for our annual trip to someplace warmer and drier. We usually go to Oregon once every year (I know! It is pathetic that Oregon is drier and warmer than here), but have skipped our vacation this year in order to save for the adoption expenses. While this has helped our pocket book, it really has been hard on our spirits. I love the rain, but even I was out dancing in the sunshine this weekend.

Since we had 2 1/2 days of sun back-to-back, we spent most of our weekend outside. We had our friend's golden retriever while she was off sailing this weekend and we took him on long bike rides with the kids in the trailer (pulled by Z-Man of-course) and played at the park for hours while munching on a picnic dinner. We met up with my sister and her four kids and went on a 2 mile hike in the woods; 6 kids, 2 big dogs, and 3 sweaty, overwhelmed adults in the forest hoping the bears had better sense than to bother us....fun, fun, fun!

Today was for yard work. Z-Man finally finished painting the trim and cleaning the deck while the kids and I picked blueberries and flowers and chased the dog around. He also weed whacked, mowed, moved rocks, and made a raised flowerbed. The girls and I did manage to pull a couple of weeds from the flower box.

Basically we desperately tried to shove a month’s worth of outdoor fun into one weekend. I'm glad tomorrow is Monday...I need the rest!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh -- sounds like weekends around here! Glad you enjoyed the sunshine -- I hope it stays around for a while.

Loved the Ethiopia video in your previous post. I don't think I've ever seen video of Haile Selassie before. Thanks for posting the link!

Anonymous said...

It is the same for us. We are skipping our usual vacations because of the adoption and I have had enough of it. I have decided to make our own vacation locally somehow. I just have to figure out what to do. Thanks for giving me some ideas. I hope it stops raining and clears up for you guys!